Natural deodorants are becoming more and more popular, and for good reason. Deodorant is something we use every single day, and these daily-use items are the first we should be looking at when making better choices for our families and ourselves. Natural deodorants, such as Pure Beginnings’ range, don’t contain synthetic fragrances, phthalates and, most importantly, aluminium chlorohydrates. All these ingredients have proven adverse effects on our body’s health.
Scientific evidence linking the use of underarm anti-perspirants to breast cancer is inconclusive, however there is research to suggest the need for a precautionary approach.
The switch to a natural deodorant is a process. It’s not an immediate or overnight success story. Like most things worthwhile, it takes thought, planning, intentionality and sticking with it.
Changing your thinking:
Let’s start by explaining the difference between what mainstream and natural deodorants do for the body. It’s important to understand that traditional deodorants tend to double as anti-perspirants, whereas most natural deodorants do not. In other words, natural deodorants won’t stop you perspiring.
That being said, don’t be afraid to SWEAT! Sweating is something we’ve been taught to avoid at all costs – it has such a bad reputation and we need to change that. Sweating is a GOOD thing. It’s an important natural bodily function. Instead of being embarrassed about it, try to embrace it (during your detox if nothing else!).
Embarking on the armpit detox:
After years of using traditional deodorants, your body may need some time to adjust. This is your body purging from years of toxin, bacteria and chemical build-up. Many people try a natural deodorant and feel as if they smell worse (which is just their body detoxing). It’s a bit like having a headache or muscle pain after a good massage – it’s just your body working hard to flush toxins and lactic acid. The new body smell tends to put people off and they end up throwing in the towel before their body adjusts to not having an anti-perspirant on. Give yourself a little grace period when you make the switch. You’ll find your new norm quicker than you think.
Experiencing a detox period for a couple of weeks when transitioning to a natural deodorant is perfectly normal – and healthy! Instead of blocking pores to prevent sweating, natural deodorant allows the body to do what it’s naturally supposed to do. Yes, you may be a bit sweatier or smellier at first, but it’s all part of your body (and your sweat glands) coming back into balance. Trust the process, stick it out and soon enough you’ll be saying goodbye to chemically burdened armpits and body odour for good.
While you’re transitioning to a natural deodorant, there are a few things you can do to support your body in the process. You’ll already be nourishing your delicate underarms with pure, safe ingredients topically, so here are a couple more ways to support your transition holistically:
- Get your sweat on (on purpose!). Regular exercise is key in helping promote the healthy, natural removal of toxins – especially during your deodorant transition. Get out there and embrace the sweat!
- Adapt your diet. If you’re finding that unwelcome body odour is still hanging around after a few weeks, take a deeper look at your diet. Lessen the intake of processed and refined foods, while adding in extra leafy greens to support your body’s detoxification process.
- Choose appropriate clothing. If you’re self-conscious about sweating, don’t wear tight-fitting synthetic clothing, as this traps moisture, which leads to sweating. Wear loose sleeves and cotton or bamboo fibres, so your underarms can breathe.
- Hot baths help open pores and encourage extra sweating. They can also help you relax during the (sometimes stinky) transition.
- Hydrate! Drinking lots of water will speed up the detox process.
If you really want to speed up the detox process you can make an armpit mask. This is Wellness Mama’s recipe for a Detoxifying Armpit Clay Mask:
- 1 Tbsp bentonite clay
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tsp of water to get the right consistency
- Mix all the ingredients in a glass bowl (do not use metal!) with a wooden or non-metal spoon until it’s the consistency of sour cream.
- Spread in an even layer over the armpits and allow to sit for 5-20 minutes. I suggest starting slowly and working up to a longer period, once you see how your body adjusts. If it hurts at all, remove immediately.
- This may cause some redness, as it will increase blood flow to the area, but it will go away quickly.
- Wash off in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth.
- Repeat daily or as needed until underarm odour goes away and natural deodorant is non-irritating.
After 3-4 weeks of intentional armpit detoxing you should be out of the woods. Are you keen to take up the challenge? We’d love to hear about your journey from a chemical to a natural deodorant. Please let us know and tag us @purebeginnings in your posts. Good luck!
Here’s to a healthier you!
The purpose of the Pure Beginnings blog is to educate and provide awareness of our products, ingredients and a more natural and healthier lifestyle. Although every effort is made to provide information that is true, factually correct and beneficial to our customers and followers, the content on the blog is not a substitute for professional medical or healthcare advice, diagnosis, treatment, dietary, or safety advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified experts with any questions you may have regarding a medical question, condition, or safety concern. Reliance on information presented on this blog is at your own risk.