We are so excited to have partnered with Dr. Jenny Rose, a Clinical Psychologist and Parent-Child expert in our new Connected Family Series. Together we have created a series of wonderful tools that encourages connectedness within the family; modelling kindness, empathy, and which equip children with an effective emotional vocabulary.
How it works:
Each family member has an opportunity to spin the wheel. The emotion they land on becomes the ‘theme’ of the story they tell. Each family member then tells a story from their day that may have elicited the selected emotion.
For example, if they land on the angry emotion, each person then mentions something from their day that made them feel angry. This can be followed by some gentle and inquisitive questioning about the scenario, thereby presenting an opportunity to reflect on what each individual experience was like.
This, in turn, helps to acknowledge and validate the unique and emotional experience of each family member. From there, families can progress to problem solving, working together to help find a solution, should there be a need for one.
This activity is focused on the following goals:
- It helps family members process emotional experiences from their day.
- It helps to equip children with an emotional vocabulary. They become familiar with emotional content and are also able to identify and label certain emotional experiences.
- When the name of the emotion is paired with the emotional experience, children will be better able to identify what they are feeling in similar situations in the future.
- Enabling your child to build emotional regulation skills and creating a greater capacity for holding, containing, and processing emotions.
- Encouraging connection between the family, through the sharing of both good and difficult experiences
- Family members can model empathy and kindness.
Download and print our Family Emotion Wheel above to use with your family. Tag us on Facebook and Instagram, @purebeginnings if you’d like to share your experience.
The purpose of the Pure Beginnings blog is to educate and provide awareness of our products, ingredients and a more natural and healthier lifestyle. Although every effort is made to provide information that is true, factually correct and beneficial to our customers and followers, the content on the blog is not a substitute for professional medical or healthcare advice, diagnosis, treatment, dietary, or safety advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified experts with any questions you may have regarding a medical question, condition, or safety concern. Reliance on information presented on this blog is at your own risk.